Andrew Carnegie said,
You will discover that the cause of success is not something separate and apart from the man; that it is a force so intangible in nature that the majority of men never recognize it; a force which might be properly called the ‘other self.’ Noteworthy is the fact that this ‘other self’ seldom exerts its influence or makes itself known excepting at times of unusual emergency, when men are forced, through adversity and temporary defeat, to change their habits and to think their way out of difficulty.
Har-old, you have forced yourself to discover your “other self,” your faith entity, me, the future you. In doing so, you have dethroned your fear entity. I am now king! However, as Napoleon Hill’s “other self” said,
That fear-motivated ‘old self’ is not dead; it has merely been dethroned. And it will follow you around wherever you go, awaiting a favorable opportunity to step in and take charge of you again. It can gain control of you only through your thoughts. Remember this, and keep the doors to your mind tightly closed against all thoughts which seek to limit you in any manner whatsoever, and you will be safe.
I could say, “respect your elders.” Me! I could say, “respect yourself.” Me! Blah. Blah. Blah. The truth is, you are in full control of me, which leads to why I’m writing you. Remember the famous photograph from Back To The Future of Marty’s headless brother? Yeah … well … uh … I just lost an arm and a leg … figuratively. 50 million dollars just disappeared, Har-old! Even in the future, money can’t grow wings and fly off. YOU ROBBED ME! How??? By wasting time! I am taking charge. The following are 13 subjects and summaries, in order of importance, I need you to master:
Manager Revolutionary – The time I kill is killing me.
- Genius Level Planner – Think and feel beyond the present moment.
- Fine Decision Maker – Get in the habit of reaching decisions quickly and definitely, and changing them slowly, if at all.
- Freedom Fighter – Lower level of inhibition.
- Action Figure – DO IT NOW!
- Master of Emotions – A fixed positive response.
- Prisoner of Patience – Sit and watch the grass grow.
- Bookish Applicant – Too often what we read and profess becomes a part of our libraries and our vocabularies, instead of becoming a part of our lives. (You’re wasting your time reading if you’re NOT applying.)
- Great Communicator (questioning and listening) – A good listener is not only popular everywhere, but after a while, he knows something. Questions are more powerful than statements will ever be.
- Artist of Sex Transmutation – The transmutation of sex energy calls for will power, to be sure, but the reward is worth the effort.
- Body Guard – The hungrier one becomes, the clearer one’s mind works.
- Master Mind – Success in the higher bracket of achievement is something that can be had only by taking others along with you.
- Master of Appearances – Make your face as malleable as the actor’s.
Subsequent letters I write will expand on the summaries. Applying subject 12, I will share author duties with other bright futures.
As Napoleon Hill said,
With the help of others, you can accomplish in one year it will take you a lifetime to complete if you relied solely on your own efforts for success.
And like the tagline on 43things.com says,
Changing your life is hard. Doing it by yourself is harder.
Although, I still believe being selfish is under-rated, I know this will bring us closer.